Monday, June 2, 2008

Fabulista Considers: The Markets in Hanoi.

The Wet Market.

Crossing several streets and moving through several wet markets was an assault to the senses – olfactory and culturally. The traffic in Hanoi flashes the red man, not the green. For a while I was disoriented and wondered what it meant (more of that later).

Next was the wet market. They sell produce so fresh it was amazing. There were prawns that are still swimming, crabs and all other manner of seafood still alive and, well kicking. I heard the chickens crowing and clucking on the street ahead – I caught myself thinking, your alarm clock in the morning might well become your lunch by midday. Morbid, I know, but you have to admit there’s a certain dramatic twist to it.

I have also forgotten how a wet market could smell – memories from twenty over years ago came flooding back through my nose via my amygdala. The condition of the place is the urban environment agency’s nightmare coming true (or its sadistic inspector’s wet dream manifested).

The Tourists’ Market.

Went to Ngoc Son Temple (Jade Mountain Temple). You can’t miss it – it’s the one with the giant Chinese brush set in quasi-obelisk. Talk about compensation. Anyway, I pass that erection and went straight to the temple.

“As the heavens peers into the hearts of Man; should the words of Man benefit another.” – couplet by the entrance to the temple.

The temple is located in the Hoan Kiem district ON the lake Hoan Kiem itself (literally Returned Sword) and the whole area has a famous legend with an almost Arthurian feel to it.

Later in the evening, we went back to the area to catch the water puppet show at the famous National Theater of Water Puppets. It was an altogether wonderful show. But of course, it had to be spoilt by the presence of the bourgeoisies and the cranially in capacitated.

A fat boy of a nationality famous for their ‘domestic help” exports decided to go trigger with his PSP in video-capture mode. Idiot. As my grandma would describe of such people in her native tongue – he whose body fats has obstructed the flow in his brain and cannot think. Idiot (but I already said that). Being ever the information vulture, I bought myself two books and a DVD on the subject – of water puppets, NOT FAT IDIOTS.

The Property Market.

But back to the day’s trip. After the sojourn at the temple and lake, I went for my Hanoi cooking class. Needless to say, I was the fish in water when it comes to such stuff, it’s just widening my already fabulous knowledge on world recipes.

Learning how to cook locally has been a habit of mine since my trip to Bali, where I learnt 27 recipes and preparation of common Balinese and Javanese dishes. In this lesson package at Hidden Hanoi, I learnt how to make fresh spring rolls, green papaya salad, tangy fish soup and sweet and sour prawns. It’s enlightening to learn how the Tao philosophy and its focus on universal balance is infused into their daily lives, even to their cooking and diet styles. For every heavy element, there must be a light; for every heat, there must be a cold – balance is paramount when preparing every meal.

I also learnt that the flashing red man is equivalent to the flashing green man back home. But what was really interesting however, is the interesting local information about the bizarre property market trend in Hanoi.

Apparently, it is WAY expensive to own property in Hanoi, especially in the city area. In fact, one needs three life times just to earn enough to own a piece of land that is currently rented. However, the property can be pass down through the generations. Unfortunately, in a country where most have more than one kid, how are you going to divide a land among your children? Dilemma.

What I can’t figure out is, if the cost of living in Hanoi isn’t high and the demand for land isn’t high either, why is the property market skyrocketing like so? Another case for the financial twilight zone mystery series? Well, since even the economists can’t seem to solve the mystery despite their protracted efforts, I ain’t gonna hold my breath for nobody now.

0 comments: