Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Welcome to Bali.

Changi Airport – JetStar Flight No. VF541.
Tuesday, 5th June, 8:00 p.m.


I was at the airport to catch my flight to Bali, Indonesia. Sitting at the transit lounge, having my dinner, I noticed two things.

Things have changed. Times have changed.

When I was younger, mum, who holds a weekday job, would take time out from chores during selected weekends to spend time with us. Those were special occasions – mum took the time to prepare and pack a special picnic lunch so that we could all spend some time, quality time together outside of the house. On those special days, we’ve been to East Coast Park, Kusu Island, Sentosa and even as mundane a place as Clifford Pier. But the location wasn’t important – the quintessential thing was that we were all there, all together. They were always simple picnics and outings, but they were always special. They were special because we got to know each other better.

Fast-forward two, three decades. Welcome to the new millennium and a generally more affluent society. Families still go for outings, but this time round, a passport is usually necessary. Which generally means that such occasions are fewer and far more in between. This time round, there is also an additional member traveling with the family crew – the maid.

That leaves me to wonder; if the whole idea of a holiday away was to spend time with the family, why would the maid be necessary? Yes, the maid would probably help in carrying YOUR children’s luggage and bags, help YOUR children to get food and put YOUR children to bed and tuck YOUR kids in and that would leave you more time to spend with… hmm… I don’t know… your manicurist? SPA therapist? Retail therapist?

But I am only guessing. I wouldn’t know, right? After all, I’ve ONLY been someone else’s child and not have any of my own yet.

How have times changed? In case you didn’t know, you can’t bring your own drinks on board the plane now. Nothing more than 100ml.

Apparently, potentially terror-causing pyrotechnic-explosives may be created or generated with such a small amount of liquid – it’s not water they are against, it’s the unknown liquid they are anxious about.

But at least it seems that they are serving complimentary food and beverages on budget flights. About an hour in to the flight, the flight attendants started offering tea, coffee (of the 3-in-1 variety) and plain water. I gratefully accepted my cup of H2O. Meanwhile, my fellow passenger also took a set of their complimentary noodle dish. It looked rather stringy/rubbery, but I kept my opinions to myself – it was after all their dinner.

My flight was scheduled to land in Denpasar airport at 9.35 p.m., local time. But with a delay of about 15 minutes, due to luggage loading confusion, it might mean that I will only check into my hotel at 12 midnight tonight. Sheesh.

0 comments: