Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Sanur Beach.

Sanur beach.
Wednesday, 6th June, 10.25 p.m.

I went to the beach today. Sanur beach is not a very beautiful beach, I am afraid to say. Since I’ve been to Karon and Patong beach in Phuket, Sanur in Bali just doesn’t cut it. The water is clear but the amount of algae washed up on shore smothers the entire shoreline in a virtual perpetual muck. In addition, while the beach is generally reserved for the public in Phuket, the hotels that are built right next to it reserve beaches along Sanur. They plonk their deck chairs along the entire stretch of the coast and the public is not allowed to use them. I stayed there till 4 in the evening before I packed up to prepare for dinner.

Flower at Sanur

I went to Legong for dinner. It’s situated just a short walk away from my hotel. I am glad I made the choice to go there. I ordered the Ultimate Rijstaffel – literally Ultimate Rice Table. It was well worth the Rp40k I paid (which works out to between SGD6 and 7). The set came with an array of spiced meats and vegetables cooked and prepared in a variety of ways to tease and tempt the taste buds, which they promptly set off to satisfy. I especially love the prawn fritters, lentils with kaffir and braised pork.

The staffs were attentive and courteous. They were very obliging and chatty, pandering to my request for a dish of sambal belacan for my complimentary serving of prawn crackers. The sambal by the way was absolutely delicious – nicely spicy and savoury. I was also treated to a traditional Legong dance. I’ve seen better but for a performance that asks for nothing but your polite applause at the end, you can’t really complain.

The maitre’d offered me a 15% discount in good faith that I should come back and visit them again for another meal. Considering that my friends are joining me in a few days, the proximity from my hotel and the value-for-money delicious food, I just might.

Rijstafel (rice table) dinner at Legong.

P.S. Just saw from my email from vPost that my Bally bag has been received, but there’s been an invoice mismatch and they can’t process the delivery unless I verify with them via email. Great thing to happen while I am away from my desk and laptop.

0 comments: