Monday, May 15, 2006

7th day - Just chillin'...

Day 7 - 15th May Just chillin'...

10:00 a.m.

“Good morning! Guten morgen!”

“Would you like sarm-singh meure...?”

I am going to miss those phrases when I go back to Singapore. Lee is such a sunburst of morning's fresh air every day when I wake up. She is polite without being distant, casual without contempt. My stay in Phuket has been made all the more enjoyable by her and a few other locals here.

11:00 p.m.

Today is O.T.O.T (own time own target). I am going to get some last minute shopping done.

Need to get a new bag for the extra stuff I've bought since I've been here. It's unbelievable the amount of shopping I've done and the stuffs I've bought over the past few days...

12:00 p.m.

Okay, I've just died and gone to designer heaven. THEY HAVE NINO CERRUTI HERE!!

It's the genuine stuff and they are selling it at a fraction of the prices back home!!

Check this out - Cerruti jeans that average about S$70 each and that is BEFORE the 20% discount! Plus, when you buy 2 pieces, you get the 3rd piece FREE (but without the discount of course...)!!

Gosh, the designer and branded stuff here are not just good buys, they are MUST BUYS!!

2:00 p.m.

...just chillin'...

Okay, had just brought my shopping back to the hotel and am now luxuriating on the beach. A last tanning session before my departure tomorrow... ahhh... just chill.

4:00 p.m.

Eating Subway in Phuket? In Thailand? Class lah... sigh.

Anthony Bourdain mentioned them before, except that he was talking about the Americans. He was referring the American tourists who would go overseas and criticize everything there and get all high and mighty... about the hygiene, standards and quality of everything around them, a sort of 'othering' some might say.

These tourists end up eating MacDonald's, Burger King, etc, etc and never try anything local.

Now meet the Singaporean equivalent. Two of such creatures chose to use the tanning beds next to mine.

If you are familiar with my BLOG, you'd have read about the Singapore girls with the 'Princess Complex'. That girl sure exhibited all the classic symptoms. I wanted to slap her so hard she'd fly right into the next day in Singapore.

The last straw was when she whined her wimpy boyfriend to get her lunch and added a “不要跟那些肮脏肮脏的摊买啊!” (“Don't buy from those dirty, unhygienic stalls!”).

The boyfriend went away for about half an hour to come back with two Subway sandwiches.

I am so ashamed for them...

5:30 p.m.

"Speedboat for you today...?"

The sun has gone behind the clouds. Might as well start packing. Goodbye beach. Goodbye speedboats.

One last look at Patong before I leave this time.

7:00 p.m.

Bumped into Jan along hotel's corridor. She just got back from a day at the bungy-jumping facilities - she's still flushed from the experience. Good for her. I'll wait for my chance when I get to New Zealand. That'll be off the bridge and into the valley!

Or maybe next year when I come back to Phuket...

Anyway, we've decided to join each other for fine dining at the hotel's restaurant - K-Bungalow Restaurant. They serve Austrian cuisines prepared and overseen by an Austrian chef.

10:30 p.m.

I had a wonderful steak dinner (medium rare) served with fried potatoes and salad, complete with French onion soup and a Mai Tai. I think I spent only about S$40. AND IT'S FOR FINE-FREAKIN'-DINING!!

Resolution: I must come back here for holiday again.

0 comments: