Sunday, February 26, 2006

I AM the Body Electric

School is starting.

Contemporary Literature assignment is due.

Done and checked.

There are some other assignments coming up: American (History) Literature; Moral Values in Education and Learning and Behaviour Problems in School Children.

Right in top of it... sigh. There is seemingly no rest for me.

I must be one of them 'wickeds'.

We'll be doing Walt Whitman's poetry from Leaves of Grass for American Literature next week. I once sang a choir version of his �O Captain, My Captain� when I was with the Singapore Armed Forces' Choir Corp. It's a nice and sophisticated piece of poetry and all, but I assure you it's a whole different ball game trying to SING it.

Let's just say we were all glad when the public recital was over - it was at the Victorian Concert Hall. Ironically, commanding officers of the members' various units were special invited guests of honor. I wonder if Ms Babes Condes, our choir mistress chose that piece as a tongue in cheek; or did she have a hidden agenda...?

Doing my own research on Whitman, I think he's a swell character, full of intrigue and interesting ideas. Tracy Chapman once sang,

 

If you knew that you would be alone
Knowing right, being wrong,

Would you change?
Would you change?

 

I'd like to think that Whitman was such a person; I aspire to be one too. But it takes a lot of strength and courage to do that. For one thing, you're gonna be alone doing it. But then again, John Lennon also said,

 

you may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one.

 

And then he went on hopefully,

 

I hope someday
You'd join us
And the world will be as ONE.

 

Anyway, here's a little snapshot of Whitman in a satiric 'music video' of some the more controversial aspects of his personality.

 

Click here to view video in full size

0 comments: