Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Harriet's Quilt

This story is a general work of fiction in 7 parts inspired by a reading of Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Although the main characters are fictitious much of this story is based on actual historical figures and events. Reader’s discretion is suggested.

HARRIET'S QUILT - PROLOGUE
 

 

15th January 1863

My dearest Harriet,

The time has come when a man must take up arms and fight for what he believes in with what he has.

The Union Army is finally accepting us niggers in the fight for the freedom of our kind. We may be free, living here in the north, but there are many of our people still struggling as we did at Missus Douglas’ and Mister Jones’.

I know you feel the same way I do and are with me in this fight for our emancipation. Not to worry, I know I will see you and them boys again when this is all over, I can feel it.

Your husband,

Jim.

P.S. Give them boys a smack on the heads that they don’t forget their pa.

 

0 comments: