Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Chances That Happen.

Chances are... and they do, for some people. But how often can it be used before it loses its credibility. Here, I would like to test its envelope.


It is amazing how many times things have happened to me on a coincidence, you know stuff that happens to chance upon you. Oy! If I get a dime for all the things that I �chance upon�, I'd be a multi-millionaire and the banks would have a schvitzing good time counting them coins!

But then the thing is, how many times can you use the term �chance upon� before it becomes a clich�, subsequently fade into inconsequence before finally decomposing into a sad excuse and euphemism for really being a busybody who is everywhere at the same time (ahem)!

However, in my defense, I have to say I am lucky and have chanced upon good mentors in my life, especially in my current tertiary education. One such character whom I really have to give credit to is a certain lecturer who has sparked and indeed fired my imagination and passion for the love of English literature and its beauteous use of the language.

So, a round of applause please, all students past and present of P. W. - the one who goes all out in her capacity to ignite the passion and use the flame to light the zeal for literature in you. I am sure you know who you are.


In a most recent case, I was critically disparaged another lecturer for being irrelevant and off tangent in my thoughts and conclusions drawn from my literary readings. I was further condemned by the same person that I have total disrespect for the lecturer, my classmates and even the context of the novel. All that and I was even said to be disruptive in class.

Furthermore, I was asked rhetorically if other lecturers have told me of this issue. It was said to be troubling issue since that module was a fourth-level (final) one. Wow! I never saw this coming, especially when my past contributions were met with enthusiasm and applause. Such implications and that entirety coming from a conferred professor then, must be something to be reckoned with, yes? My diagnosis was bleak. But one must always stay positive and maintain an optimistic perspective.

Unfortunately, as it happens, where chances often do, I was totally distraught and I got suspicious of my own ability to study and even read literature and my weekend then was completely ruined, clouded by the ominous remarks. As such, I had to approach an alternative voice; kind of like seeking a second opinion when one is diagnosed with cancer.

Sensing the depth and profundity of my despairing ailment, it was decided that a sit-down session was called-for and urgently so. The appointment was arranged but life always has things happening, and chances are, they do.

I chanced upon an opportunity to have a talk again with the concerned doctor who was '�troubled� by my ability (or in his view, lack thereof) to read literature. The shocking diagnosis came - I was told that I should not bother myself with the earlier remarks. In fact, broader issues that I often bring up in class are encouraged since it opens the scope for discussion so long as the �irrelevant� ones remain as verbal ones and my written work is always backed up. In fact, it was concluded that obeisance and adherence to rules never breed creativity.

Here we have a head scratching situation, was the good doctor wrong with the first diagnosis or was it an emotional outburst that should be heard with a pinch of salt? It was time for a serious second opinion.

On the appointed day for sit-down session of the second opinion, the second doctor was informed of the paradoxical double-diagnosis by the first doctor, and was caught scratching the head too. But in any case, I was given a thorough check and the second doctor gave me a �thumbs up� analysis - I am curable, in fact I seem to be in the pink of health. However, just to be doubly sure, I was given an additional prescription of preventatives - namedly, a single does of Positive Perception and Vindication (co-administered by other doctors), 20 tablets of Confidence Boosters, 15 capsules of Correctness Assurances and a bunch of other supplements to be taken as necessary for me to get on with my literary life.

In life, we are presented with all sorts of chances and we are especially grateful for the positive ones that happen upon us. In this case, I am appreciative and grateful for the serendipity of a wonderful literary doctor, whose prescription, I am happy to add after a week's dosage has kept any likely cancer cells from growing. In fact, the preventative prescription has made the newly vindicated patient a bit wiser with a positive prognosis reported, so to speak.


P.S. If you �happen to chance upon� this entry, do try to spread it around too. You know who you are and we know you are not the shy kind...

0 comments: