Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fabulista Dismisses: Challenger (it sucks, big time!)

There is something the sunny island set in the sea is good for – SHOPPING.

If there is nothing else one can visit it for, there is at least still their national past time to consider. It's their saving grace if nothing else.

One of the range of products that they seem to be dumping off at dirt cheap prices would be their IT products. One simply loves dropping by that beautiful island just to pick up gadgets (apart from the lovelies at the boutiques).

One is so infatuated with the whole idea of the affordable items one has even signed up as a member of a particular establishment known as Challenger. Unfortunately, I just had a very bad experience with their customer service at their outlet in the IT Mall.

After making a purchase of a mouse that they would not let me try, I realized that it was incompatible with my computer. After a phone call to the shop, I was told that it was possible to get an exchange.

However, after making a trip down to the shop, I was treated to a routine test and promptly dismissed with a, “yes, the mouse is not compatible”. Duh! I know that! Why do you think I'm here, ON A SUNDAY!

“Yes, so can I get an exchange for a compatible one?”

“Sorry, this package has been compromised, I'm afraid it can't be exchanged...”

Actually, they did not say that. Really, they just said, “No. Cannot, because you cut already.”

“So basically, I am stuck with this incompatible mouse which I bought by mistake because you guys would not let me try to begin with.”

“Herh, herh, yah...”

I thanked the guy and promptly walked off and went straight to the shop front.

Again, it was no luck. When I wanted to purchase another mouse, they gave the same party line, “Sorry, you can't try because the mouse is sealed...”

This was too much. I stormed back to the customer service and spoke to another staff. At this juncture, there was another customer who was creating a scene because of bad service). Anyway, I explained the situation to the staff, who immediately understood perfectly what I was talking about (was I speaking French previously? Or was it Greek? Or Esperanto?) . He promptly sent out an exchange memo for me and told me that I could go and replace my purchase with any product of my choice.

(At this juncture, I would like to thank Isa bin Mohammed at the service center for his help).

Now, was that so difficult that I had to go in circles before I could get an exchange? I was not asking for a money back, just an exchange. In fact, it might have been possible that I was going to buy something of greater value! Oh well... anyway, I finally exchanged it for a couple of retractable cables.


Epilogue: With their shoddy service, I decided against purchasing a mouse from them. In the end, I got one of my choice from the Targus reseller instead. It's a lovely model that matches my ACER Aspire ONE.

0 comments: