Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fabulista at work

What a weekend I am having! It’s absolute fabulista at work.

After a excruciatingly painful but extremely cleansing facial, I was entreated by yours truly to an incredible spree at Ermenegildo Zegna. With a whopping 50% discount, who could resist? So shoes belts and other assorted accessories later, it was time to make one’s way home. So now, how should one choose a pair of good investment shoes? The answer is in the detail of the adhesion – how the whole shoe comes together. The high-end range would be made from high-quality leather hand sewn to its insole. This component is then hand sewn to the outsole. So, in total, there are two sewing processes, making a sturdier and lasting shoe built. The other things to look out for would be the detailing and the design of the whole shoe itself, including the choice of the leather, of course. Luxe crocodile, anyone? How about a bespoke with your name embossed to the sole of the shoe?

Talking about Zegna brings me to my next point – this season’s poisons, i.e. items to avoid at ALL cost. Many of Zegna’s current collection have been emblazoned with their initials. That is grave mistake and cardinal sin in the English speaking fashion world. One SIMPLY does NOT want to be known as ‘EZ’! If you can’t decipher what I am trying to tell you here, you deserve all the ridicule and sniggers that come your way and trust me, they are not admiring your fashion sense. Rather, they are having a field day at the expense of your lack of English literacy.

Additionally, Longchamp put their nylon/leather tote (Le Pliage) on promotional sale recently. The result? The campaign has been overwhelmingly successful. How do I know that? Just walk down Orchard on any day and you will lose count of the number of Jane, Joan and Sally carrying one. Uniform is NOT fashion. All self-respecting fashionistas must avoid this bane of fashion at all cost.

Now for my latest obsession – Hermès. I must have something from Hermès. Unfortunately, it is one of those boutiques that I – haven’t had the chance to explore just because each time I pass by the place, the door is always closed and the whole interior of the boutique after the glass seems so forboding! This fabulista’s next mission is to venture beyond the gilded glass doors of the French saddle-makers! I must have a good browse of the items and decide on a suitable investment. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestion? Skip it though, if all you can conjure up are the silks, cashmere or Birkins. I already know them.

On the topic of things to get, here’s a budget item on my wishlist – a Nike Amp+. This little collaborative offspring of Apple and Nike after the sport kit connects as a remote for the iPod Nano to monitor one’s jog. It is now available for sale in the US but will probably not be coming to where I am since the radio communication clearance is too troublesome for the local retailers. (Psst… get the hint, my US friend?)

The fabulista shall continue the lifestyle tomorrow – with a hair appointment and a mission trip to Hermès, it’s going to a socialite’s role for me!

0 comments: