Monday, September 17, 2007

If a tree falls in the forest.

“If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around does it make a sound?”

I once heard a sagely old man ask that of a younger person. I pondered the question. My wise grandmother who was there with me whispered to my ears, “it doesn’t matter, child – because you know the tree fell…”

Those were simple words, but it stuck to my heart. I brought them out today to ponder some more. I needed those words to ponder because of some recent events.

Remember the Korean hostages? Those people who practically twisted their government’s arms to negotiate with terrorists. This was after their government had reiterated that no one should travel to countries at such risk. Given their intentions, they pig-headed went ahead with their plans. They did it for reasons that I shall not judge – only they will be held accountable.

But at my work place they were mentioned and prayed for – for obvious reasons. But if they knowingly made their choices, claiming to be called, wouldn’t it have been a glorious martyrdom? After all, I know of a holy man who had more followers dead than alive. It’s human nature – one is made more credible when one makes ultimate sacrifices for one’s beliefs or philosophies.

But my thoughts were neither on them nor for them. Although I was reminded of them, I was reminded because of my thoughts on the air-crash over the weekend. My thoughts were with and for them and their kith and kin.

Those people made plans to enjoy themselves on a holiday. Although their intentions may not be altogether altruistic, their visits would have inadvertently benefit the tourist economy. Unfortunately, there was a mishap – a true accident. So now, they will benefit the medical economy instead. Ironic.

My heart and my orisons go out to these people. I truly believe they need such implorations; more than the other previous party. Although for reasons unknown (or too obvious), they were not mentioned at my workplace today.

Despite that, I was reminded of my grandma’s words – I heard the tree fall and I will offer balm and salve. I offer it because it is needed. I offer it because it is a human thing to do.

As a human being, it is something I do, being human.

0 comments: