Sunday, November 12, 2006

An unglorious Gloria Jeans

It is critical for the any establishment in the service industry to have a good ‘word-of-mouth’ record. I understand that and I always try my best to compliment. However, my coffee drinking experience at Gloria Jeans (VivoCity) left not only a bad taste in my mouth, but also a couple of emotional baggage.


The rain on Saturday was incorrigible. But I must grab the opportunity that a weekend offers and go out. After a short stint at IKEA, I ventured off to VivoCity with the intention to laze at Starbucks® with a cuppa and my copy of Paul Coehlo.

Upon arrival, I passed by a candy store. Most of us would have heard of Candy Empire by now especially with their controversial and un-PC like denial of entry by wheelchair bound individuals. But then again, it’s not exactly surprising coming from a store whose namesake makes reference to what has been analogized with licensed cultural genocide and statutory national rape (A. Roy). Unable to resist, I went in to grab some goodies pre-laden with empty calories.

Judging from the crowd bustling in the shop, what Richard Branson said is true – there is no such thing as ‘bad publicity’. The queue snaked from the counter at one side of the shop right to the other. Here’s where I am totally miffed – the queue system is so bad, there were people who would just cut through the line, right under the cashiers’ noses (who are strangely oblivious to all that).

I tried to express my displeasure to the cashier who attended to me, but all I got was a wry grin of exasperation and an obligatory “ok”. Well, so much for the ‘empire’.

I thought a cup of my favourite brew at my favourite café would cheer me up. Alas, the Starbucks® at VivoCity was more crowded than a beehive in the summer. Being me, I thought I’d give the brand new Gloria Jeans outlet a try. After all, I have not tasted their coffee before.

In all truth, the coffee I was served tasted great. It was full-bodied and robust. That’s how I like my cuppa – bold and resting firmly on my tongue. I paired it with their Chocolate Obscenity – a chocolate banana cake topped with a thick layer (about two inches) of chocolate cream. It was a match made in Arabica Heaven.

Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for their service. I had been walking for miles before I decided to settle down on a seat in their café for a breather and leg rest. Before I headed for the counter to place my order, I left my bags of shopping, in their carriers on one of their banquettes. While waiting for my coffee to be served, I saw one of the staff cleaning my table of its previous occupants’ crockery.

However, when I return to my seat, to my horror, I noticed that water was splashed all over the table, onto the seat and inadvertently onto my shopping bags as well. A considerable amount of water also found its way into the bag and onto the contents. All these happened and the staff did not even bother to dry the seat or the bags.

I was appalled. The rudeness and the irresponsibility of the staff involved was just inconceivable at this day and age. Not only can I not sit on my chosen seat, even my shopping were all wet. Nevertheless I decided to give them a chance. I waited to se if any of the staff would approach me to apologize or explain.

Five minutes into my coffee and cake, I decided I had given them grace enough; besides, I need fresh carriers to transfer my shopping into. I approached the counter and told the staff on duty what happened.

“Oh, I am so sorry. You would need a new carrier wouldn’t you?” He promptly offered one to me and I asked for another. He obliged without hesitation and apologized again.

“It’s alright.” was my reply.

I was relieved that I was able to transfer my shopping into dry bags of course. However, under those circumstances, since it was through no fault of mine that my bags got wet, but rather the (ir)responsibility of the establishment that cause the distress, I was expecting more than just a couple of paper bags as compensation.

In the end I had to settle for an uncomfortable hard seat and I didn’t even get a chance to pull out my Paul Coehlo.

0 comments: