Sunday, November 5, 2006

Strength and Shield.

Jehovah Tsur
- God is my Strength

Jehovah Nissi
- God is my Banner

Jehovah Tsidkenu
- God is my Righteousness

Gabriel and Daniel
- God is my strength and my judge.

I called on the names of God and He came to my aid in my hour of need. He tramples upon the wicked and keeps his flock within his warm embrace - safe and protected, righteous and pure.


THE COMMANDMENTS

In a recent professional work review and ranking where I work, one of my superiors, a vice-principal, not only made false accusations about my conduct but also spun yarns of lies and deceptions - false testimonies about me. She (yes, it is a creature of the female sex) had tried to murder my reputation with her false yarns of accusations.

Thinking back, it was ironic that all the events happened when it did. The school, being a so-called 'mission' school was sharing messages based on the sixth and ninth commandments:

6th: You shall not murder.

9th: You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.


Changing the context of 'murder' to 'using words to kill', the two commandments were blended into consecutive weeks' devotional messages. What was sadly and sardonically coincidental, was that these words rang over the school's PA system as she committed the heinous acts.

THE ACCUSATIONS

During the ranking exercise, she claimed that I had not followed protocol and did not turn up as instructed for school one morning. Even though I had been given the day off by applying for UPA, I was supposed to turn up in the morning to handover the day's lesson plans to the relief teacher. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen, last minute events, I was informed after office hours on Friday evening that my presence was required elsewhere for an official matter. Since the office was already closed, I sent an urgent message to my colleague responsible for arranging relief.

Then came the reply, “Since you've applied for UPA, go ahead for your day's event. Just send a copy of your lesson plans and instruction to me and S.”

So I did. I followed protocol as the situation allowed. That was the explanation I gave when my reporting officer (RO) told me about her remarks. However, when my RO checked back with her, she claimed that the upset is not over my failure to turn up that morning, rather, it was my failure to submit any application for my apparent absence. In simple words, I was absent without official consent of leave.

Now, this is a serious accusation to make against anyone in employment and more so of a government employee. Absence without official leave (or AWOL in military circles) is a grave and chargeable offence. When my RO got back to me on this new turn of events, I launched my own investigation immediately. But it wasn't quite necessary - the application form, which I had been sure was submitted was conveniently and accessibly filed in the general office. All I had to do was ask for it and a copy was made immediately available to me. Within minutes of the request, I got a duplicate of the UPA application in question - duly signed and approved by the principle on the 20th of July, four whole days before the day of absence. I kept the duplicate after making copies of it to my RO and other superiors.

VINDICATION

I wanted, needed to be vindicated. My reputation was at stake. But when my RO sent a copy of the UPA application form to the said accuser (of the brethren), all she did was take a glimpse at the form and coldly returned it back to my RO. No apologies, no regrets.

I must give credit to my RO, she was most wonderful and supportive of me in my time of need. I was constantly assured that everything was fine and she was also concerned about doing things right by me.

Even after everything was over, she went and spoke with the principal. She wanted to make clarifications with him on my behalf. When she got back to me, she once again assured me that all was fine and everything was over. The principal had assured her that there was “no harm done”.

TWIST THE TALE

One of the messages shared over the PA over the past few days was the suggestion that when a lie is told, one can always be sure that a second one must be told to keep the first one credible and the vicious process continues, ad nauseam et infinitum.

The accuser told the first lie, which was easily broken. She then had to tell a second one to cover herself, which was once again broken since paper can never foil fires. What was the result of it all? She had now completely discredited herself before my eyes and many others who know about this incident.

That my dear reader, would now include you as well…

EPILOGUE

Recently, I was told all report book remarks are to be vetted by her. Naturally, so was mine. When the copy was returned to me after her editing, she struck out on my remarks - “improve on in”.

“Improve in” is a common grammar mistake

I went to check with my other superior in the English department.

“Should I use her wrong version or stick with my correct one.” After a check with the dictionary, C, the superior I was consulting with looked at me and said, “Use the correct one… but keep a copy of this…”

We gave each other an understanding smile.

0 comments: