Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Harriet's Quilt

This story is a general work of fiction in 7 parts inspired by a reading of Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Although the main characters are fictitious much of this story is based on actual historical figures and events. Reader’s discretion is suggested.

 

HARRIET'S QUILT - Part III

W

hy didn�t we ever fight them none? Why, it ain�t right, ain�t it? Going against them white folks. We thought it be our unbelievein� that wuz to be blamed for our yokes an� bondages. Why, many of us black folks had gone an� git oursels� baptized with them holy�sprit, thinkin� that oughta git us freed. But it seems we wuz wrong, we wuz born to be slaves, there ain�t disputin� that.

Even the preacher on Sunday said so, standing behind the pulpit. Them preachers always said so. They says it be a God-given right for them God-fearing white folks to own slaves an� it be right there, writ� in the bible. That we niggers oughta know our places an� keep to them, keeping our heads bowed an� voices low in servitude. An� if the Almighty says it, there ain�t gonna be no disputin� it none!

We can�t fight them, it ain�t right. But some of us, we try to run away. When we can�t suffer the pain no more, we run away, even though our backs may be hurtin� with them chokecherry trees an� them bitter fruits, we ran as far an� as fast as our nekkid, blisterin� feet can carry us, followin� that drinkin� gourd to our freedom. I darn� run away at all. I darn, I wuz always too scared, without my Jim wit�me. So I just git on with the pain each day, hoping for my sweet lord Jeezus to come an� take it all away, in them sweet ol� chariot.

Once, though, Mister Jones came to the barn in a stupor. There�sa been some partyin� an� dancin� in the big house an� Mister Jones had gone an� drunk too many. He came into the barn when them boys an� men wuz cleaning theysels� out in the back an� he touched me, he touched me deep, Missy, an� I wuz scared. I juz closed my eyes an� wished the bad dream away.

When I open my eyes again, Mister Jones wuz gone. I gets up an� started running outta the barn, I ran so fast I couldn�t see what wuz coming at me an� what wuz getting pass me. I just ran, Missy, I wuz scared an� kinfused. But the road could see me an� threw a rock somewheres an� tripped me. I fell an� had gone hit my head on a hard thing an� fainted, feverish an� passed out.

I musta ran very far that night, cos� when I wakes up, I wuz in a nice room. I wuz more kinfused, thinkin� I�d gone an� died an� went straight to sweet Jeezus. Thas� when I sees another nigger, calls hissel� Bill Still, smiled at me an� darn tol� me not to worry, cos� I be his cargo an� findin� mysel� a friend wit� friends. He said I�d be resting here at this station, tha� it�s aw�right since he be a conductor or stationmaster or somesuch.

I had gone an� thot� he be talkin� crazies since he callin� his house a station an� bringin� them nonsense words asa� underground railroad. There be no such thing asa� underground railroad, I thot to mysel�. How tha� train gone move through under the ground? But I be so tired then, I juz fell sleep.

Shor� enuf� I wakes up sitting in some ol� coach an� I wuz scared again. But there wuz another nigger wumen next to me an� she wuz smiling. I wuz reliev�d some, seeing another of my kin� smilin�, but I ax� her why she be smilin� anyways. �Why, you be smilin� too girl! We heddin� up north with the gourd, up the free north with�em drinkin� gourd girl!�

0 comments: