Saturday, April 5, 2003





I AM FOR LIFE

- Vincent Immanuel Pang



I am not Pro-America; in fact I still can't stand their slapstick comedies



I am not Anti-Iraq; in fact I admire their intellect. Afterall, the concept of Algebra or al-jabr was created by one of them.



I am not Pro-War; neither am I Anti-War.



But I am against the use of fear and tyranny to control a population. I am against the use of civilian lives to destroy civilian lives for personal vendetta or to make political statements. I am against terrorism. I am against the concept of anyone, living on God's earth having to look around suspiciously, fearing for his or her life, wondering if the ride on the public transport, or the letter received will be the last thing experienced.



I am against having to live in fear, anxiety and suspicion for one's life. I am against the concept that my right to live has been denied and compromised by some unknown who has a warped sense of justice and in meting out his/her judgement, I am but a pawn.



I am against destroying life.



And if that means taking out the source of threat by destroying the agent (one by one), then it has to be done. I am for it.



I do not want to live in a world where a smile may not be a smile but a conspiracy. Where a word is not a blessing but a curse in disguise. Where a hug is the prelude to a murder or betrayal.



Most importantly, I do not wish for children to nurture and grow in a world such as that. I may be held responsible and accountable - afterall, as the wisdom of the Navajo Indians once put, ''we don't inherit land, we are merely taking care of it for our children (paraphrased)''



What kind of a place do we want our future generations to grow up in? To know? It's all up to us isn't it? When we spot a problem, we try to gently coax it away, but like the weed that refuses to perish, we will have to root it out.



I want to live in a world where I know a smile means ''I'm your friend'', a pleasant word is salve to the heart and a hug means devotion of the sincerest kind. Where children can smile (not frown) and wonder ''why'' and parents won't have difficulty answering.



The first cognitive facial expression of a child should not be a frown of anxiety nor should his first word be ''please'' with his hands held out...







0 comments: